Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Sheet Pan Chicken Fried Rice - adapted from The Wooden Skillet

 I have tried lots of new recipes recently.  Some are keepers and Chris would say.. "add this one to the rotation!"  

One of our favorites recently was Sheet Pan Chicken Fried Rice from The Wooden Skillet.  We loved it.  The leftovers were great too.  I simplified by cooking a family size bag of Uncle Ben's rice in the morning and putting it in the fridge.  Rice from "scratch" would probably be better but the packet worked great.  I also chicken thinly sliced chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces instead of the chicken thighs recommend.  You should follow Erin at The Wooden Skillet on Instagram.  



Sheet Pan Chicken Fried Rice - adapted from The Wooden Skillet

4 cups leftover rice (or make some the day before or morning of.. and refrigerate)

1/2 cup yellow onion, diced

1 tsp sesame oil

1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided

1.25 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I used boneless, skinless thin chicken breasts)

1 Tbsp soy sauce

pinch ground black pepper

2 eggs, whisked

1 1/2 cups frozen peas & carrots


Stir-Fry Sauce:

1/2 cup soy sauce

1-2 Tbsp chili garlic sauce (I used one - I am a wimp)

1 Tbsp rice vinegar

2 tsp fresh ginger, grated (I keep mine in freezer and pop it out to grate)

1/4 tsp sesame oil

Optional toppings:

green onions, sliced

toasted sesame seeds (can buy these in Asian part of your grocery store)


Preheat oven to 450.  Spray large rimmed sheet pan with cooking spray. 

On the prepared pan, add your 4 cups leftover rice and diced onions to one side of the pan.  Toss with the 1 tsp sesame oil and 1/4 tsp kosher salt.  On the other side of the pan, add the cup up chicken.  Toss with 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1/4 tsp kosher salt and a pinch of black pepper. 

Bake for 10 minutes.  Check if using thinly sliced chicken breast as it might cook at a different rate.  Remove from oven and break apart chicken

Move the rice and chicken further to their sides and pour the whisked eggs in the middle. Add the 1 1/2 cups of frozen peas/carrots sprinkled over the top of all of it.  Return to oven and bake for 7-8 minutes or until eggs are fully cooked.  

While everything is baking, make the Stir Fry Sauce.  Don't skip this step. Mix in a Mason jar or a small bowl and combine well. 

When you remove the pan from the oven. Pour the stir-fry sauce over everything and gently toss to combine.  

Enjoy right away topped with sliced greed onions and toasted sesame seeds.  


Printable Version









No comments: