Monday, August 3, 2026

We have moved to Boerne, Texas to be near the grand babies and the girls!  I was so sad to leave the preschool where I was Director.  I miss the teachers, the families and those precious little ones.  Sad to be gone but...I am thrilled to be in Texas and see my sweet grandbabies a few days a week.  We still have our place in downtown Omaha and we visit regularly. 

I have been cooking more.  I have tried three or four different chicken salads.  I have made a new greek bowl and Puppy Chow Brownies and all sorts of new yummy recipes.  I am trying an Easy Big Mac Taco tonight... a smash burger taco.  When I think they are worthy of sharing, I will share.  

I think a favorite this summer is a new chicken salad.  I love a good chicken salad with pecans and grapes, etc.  I like crunch in my chicken salad.  I saw this one on Instagram - it is a "Sub Sandwich" version of Chicken salad.  I follow Mary Alexander Satterfield on Instagram.  Her website is The Hungry Hooker cause her made name was Hooker but now it is Ma Satterfield.  I like her recipes - all pretty normal and easy... and good.  My family LOVES this chicken salad.  I made it just as Mary makes it this first time but my family all seemed to like it best without the provolone cheese.  I highly recommend trying this chicken salad - the flavor is amazing!

One last thing, I am not sure how you cook/shred your chicken.   I boil mine but I am going to try cooking it in the InstaPot.  My friend Tammy gave me a chicken shredder a few gifts ago.  I wasn't sure I would use it but I love it - I use it a ton. I actually do a combo of shredding and chopping. You could also use rotisserie chicken. 


Not a great pic - but you get the idea.  Mary suggests eating it with potato chips and I love it this way.  My hubby made a sandwich.  I also enjoyed just eating it with a fork!!


Sub Sandwich Chicken Salad - Adapted from Ma Alexander

3-4 cups cooked chopped/shredded chicken 

1/2 cup diced grape tomatoes

1/2 cup purple onion, diced (my family likes more)

5-6 slices of provolone cheese, diced

1/2 cup (or more) banana peppers chopped (my family likes more)

Dressing:

3/4 cup mayonnaise

1 tsp Dijon mustard

splash of banana pepper juice

2 Tbsp red wine vinegar

1 tsp oregano flakes

1 tsp garlic powder

salt and pepper to taste

Use a rotisserie chicken or cook your own.  I bought 1 1/2 lbs of chicken breast, boiled until done all the way through and did a combination of shredded and chopping. (I like boiling because the chicken stays moist.  I am trying the InstaPot next time.  While the chicken is cooking, chop the other ingredients.  Mix the dressing in a separate bowl.  Once the shredded/chopped chicken is cooled, add the rest of the chopped ingredients and toss with the dressing. Serve with your favorite sturdy potato chip! Enjoy!

Printable Version









No comments: